Meditation Time: Insight Timer App



While reading a magazine recently I came across a segment that gave single women advice and inspiration on choosing new adventures. They featured a woman who travelled the world alone, another that built her own house (putting in the electricity and plumbing alone and all!) and one who climbed Mount Kilimanjaro. I read all the stories in awe but the one that struck a cord with me the most that day was about a woman who took up the challenge to meditate for a month (like all day long) at a retreat. I had been looking for some new guided meditation sessions or an inspiring meditation program I could read in the attempts to accomplish my goal of meditating every day. In the tips section of the article they mentioned the Insight Timer App so I researched it online and gladly paid the $2.99US to add it to my iPad. (For the iPhone and Android there is a free version and one for $2.99US as well). Unfortunately, the iPad version didn’t feature the guided meditation option but I decided to still try it to at least utilize the other elements.

For the past few days I have actually mediated more regularly. I begin by reading a mindfulness quote on my iPad and then a page of my self-meditation book that features mantras, quotes and koans. Next I start the meditation timer in the Insight App and blissfully enjoy the sound of the Tibetan singing bowl that indicates my ten minutes has begun. I am noticeably calmer and more focused by the time I hear the sound of the three bells I chose that signal the end of my mat time.

I look forward to meditating everyday by myself (without the motivation of the Deepak Chopra guided challenge I do twice during the year). I challenge myself to accomplish this even if I miss the morning time slot when it is most quiet in my house. Check out this App and let me know what you think. Do you make time to meditate regularly and if so what is your routine?

FYI: Deepak Chopra’s 21-Day Challenge is coming up (4.4.2014). Sign up and try it out! For those who normally do it, I will meet you in the gap!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to an Orisha Yard

The massive cross on the hill

Heading to Cyprus