Amsterdam by Bike

Amsterdam, like many cities in Holland, is known for its bike riding culture. As I mentioned in an earlier post, people from all walks of life ride happily along the designated bike lanes that crisscross the city. From the time we arrived Verse was super keen to rent bikes and explore. Unfortunately, Amsterdam had gotten colder when we finally had time to bike ride but we couldn’t let the opportunity pass.  Bundling up, we went to the well-known Mac Bike rental company at Central station and started our adventure on our bright red (we are obviously tourists) bikes!

Verse is a seasoned bike rider, while I… let’s say… am still marinating. While Verse whizzed ahead loving every moment, I shakily and timidly trailed behind trying to get accustomed to riding in the busy city. (As we rode out the Mac Bikes door, a tram nearly flattened me!) I had to look out for buses, trams, cars, pedestrians and other bike riders while trying to get the hang of my wobbly bike. After learning the hand signals and riding etiquette, I started having a ball. With the (cold) wind blowing on my face and through my hair, I felt the freedom and exhilaration as I watched Amsterdam from a new vantage point. I was so confident at this point that I kept my camera slung around my neck so as not to miss anything. Even the cold rain didn’t stop us! Here are a few sights during our Amsterdam via bike adventure.


Our riding adventure
Westerpark
Westerpark had interesting artwork including this one called Zonder Titel
More interesting pieces- "I am at home" and "Gold in your mind, gold in your feet"

On the Left: In the pond the white dress sculpture moves eerily over the water. On the right: Dragers van verre sculpture by Nelson Carrilho

This sign marks the bike lanes that crisscross the city

 Amazing graffiti on Spuistraat
 Amazing graffiti on Spuistraat including the Snake mural on the left

Spuistraat

Amsterdam has such beautiful buildings

Riding in Vondelpark

Vondelpark residents

Taking a five in Vondelpark

Vondelpark is such a beautiful place to ride through
Amsterdam by bike

Comments

  1. Glad you got the hang of it and enjoyed - biking in Amsterdam is just great! Thanks for the great photos and memories of Vondel Park and Westerpark - love the imaginative art pieces (and their titles) too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very different look of Amsterdam - enjoyed the sculptures, the graffiti art and of course the flowers. - Way to go! - M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love you pictures! You seemed to capture the energy of the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pictures and comments as always. Also, I can't remember the last time I saw you on a bike. Couva in the 1990's?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, couva in the 1990's? No way I used to ride around all the time after that by Auds and Milts! lol You had left the country by then! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to an Orisha Yard

Heading to Cyprus

The massive cross on the hill