Live Band Vibes at Smile!

Travelling on the train to Antwerp from Den Haag marked the forth time I was making this trip. Who knew this route would become a familiar one for me. Verse, B and I were headed to the Smile! Reggae Festival, which was the one I was looking forward to since Verse iTal’s first band practice with the Asham Band. This is the performance they had all been working toward and as we neared Antwerp my excitement mounted. Before heading to the venue, Verse had a quick practice with the back up singers one more time and it was great to hear the ladies add their two part harmonies to Verse’s tunes.

Walking to the venue, which was located in a forested area, I tried to pay attention to where I stepped (there were patches of mud due to the rain the day before) while marveling at the beauty of the surroundings. The weather was chilly and a bit overcast but luckily the rain had held up. After settling in backstage, we headed into the main area to see the lay out of the festival. The Ska Reggae band, the Upsttemians were performing on the large main stage and a crowd was enjoying the DJ’s music as the hype man sang along to some beats in an indoor dance floor section. The rest of the festival was laid out around a small clearing in the forest where people moved between the food stalls, tables, vendors and another small DJ area. It was a beautiful location as the trees gave a peaceful, mystical vibe that was perfect for a reggae show!

Scenery as I walked toward the festival
The crew at Smile! Reggae Festival
The Main Tent- T: The Upsttemians on stage, B: The crowd in the main stage, R: Verse and I posing

The indoor dancefloor
Clothes on sale at the festival
Two lovely patrons at the festival

Food and drinks on sale, including my yummy Caipirinha 

TL: Another DJ Area, TR: An area for kids to play, BL: Tables under the trees, BR: Beautiful festival grounds

Painted Banners
L: Verse's name on the line up sheet backstage, R: Posters advertising an upcoming performance with Verse iTal! 
When Asham Band took the stage, they first backed Johnny den Artiest. They sing in Dutch so I couldn’t understand the lyrics but between the matching animal print wardrobe, their energetic on stage performance and the interaction with their stuffed Tiger, there was a lot for me to be entertained by. They had the large crowd moving and enjoying the performance! After the band took a short break it was Verse’s turn on the stage! Hearing him with the whole band and the back up singers was incredible. On the stage and in the crowd I took pictures and video with a huge smile. He sang six tunes, which included “Vibesday” which hasn’t been released, and his current hit “Want NoPart”. I looked on as the crowd started to increase and people began moving to the music. My favorite moment was when a couple started to slow dance (with dips and all) to his song “Spring Water.” By the time he reached the end of the set the crowd had grown and his on stage energy was radiating throughout the tent.

Johnny den Artiest

Johnny den Artiest
Verse iTal on stage- Smile! Reggae Festival
Verse iTal on stage- Smile! Reggae Festival
Verse iTal on stage- Smile! Reggae Festival
Verse iTal on stage- Smile! Reggae Festival
L: A little child looks on as Verse smiles with the crowd, R: Verse with his lovely back-up singers
Later that night Ken Boothe took the stage and let me just say I will never forget the crowds’ response to him. This energetic 66-year-old Jamaican singer has been in the business for about 51 years. I must admit I didn’t know who he was before this but from the packed crowd of fans it turned out I was the only one. People of all ages cheered, danced and sang along to his songs word for word! I was amazed. People even climbed on stage to hug him and had to be removed by security! This guy was the ultimate superstar and he gave a wonderful performance to an adoring crowd! Ward 21 performed next and I was instantly transported back to the Great Race party days. As they performed their hits memories flooded in of the nights partying on pigeon point in the 90’s! I’ve never seen them perform so it was cool to see them live and watch how their music moved the crowd!


This festival was such a great experience. It was well organized and I was exposed to a great mix of artists. As I reviewed the footage of Verse on stage with the live band, I couldn’t help but feel excited for what’s in store for him as he continues on his musical journey. Check out the video below of Verse on stage with the band!

Ken Boothe
The crowd reacts to Ken Boothe's performance
Ward 21 and crew
The view from the crowd of Ward 21

Here is a video of Verse iTal on stage with the Asham Band at the Smile! Reggae Festival. 

Comments

  1. Im always pleasantly surprised at how much Europeans support Reggae music. What a lovely setting! Verse Ital is really getting a great experience and growing from strength to strength! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to an Orisha Yard

The massive cross on the hill

The Heineken Experience