The massive cross on the hill


The massive cross sits high on a hill and is visible from miles away. Verse and I were driving in the Troodos region, heading to the Kykkos monastery when we spotted the 25-metre cross looming above us. Intrigued, we had to veer off route and drive up the hill to find out more.

Stavros Fithkias is a small modern chapel with amazing wall paintings. As is common in the majority of their churches these frescos were intricate, bright and tell the stories of the gospels. This chapel was built in the 80’s and is a common stop for pilgrims heading to the Kykkos monastery. Prior to our trip to Cyprus I had no idea what a huge role religion had in their culture and history. (I guess that’s because I knew very little about Cyprus at all, save for the fact that it was the hottest location in Europe at the time I wanted to travel). A whopping ten of their churches (found on the Greek side) are Unesco’s World Heritage sites making this island a must visit for all those interested in religious history, art and architecture. 

Stavos Fithkias Chapel
The inside of the chapel
Intricate and eye catching details are found everywhere 
Even the roof is covered with paintings
A monument for fallen soldiers and flags flying in the wind
Beautiful flowers on the premises 





Comments

  1. Ariann, I love the pictures and reading about the places you visited. It has been years since I've seen you but still think of you as a little sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I havent seen you in so long! Thanks for reading and im glad you are enjoying the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! this one I am going to send to all the persons working to restore our churches and other historical buildings as some inspiration! - M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I am not travelling, physically, I enjoy seeing and learning about other lands via TV, PowerPoint presentations and Blogs such as Caribbean Talk, The United Voice and now yours. Thanks for continuing my education, Ariann.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Birch, I am glad you are enjoying the blog! :) Luckily for us we have blogs and TV programs to educate us about different cultures without having to travel as you say. Thanks for reading mine and I hope to continue to travel and share my experience!

    Hee hee...Aisha I am Jealous of your art program!!

    Thanks for reading M :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to an Orisha Yard

Heading to Cyprus