Birthday Reflection

It's my birthday. It's been my birthday in this time zone for 6 hours and now that it's 6am here, it's officially my birthday back home also! I basically just went to bed (at around 4am) but somehow my wish to wake up and greet my birthday again became a possibility when I started to stir an hour ago. I do not want to say it out loud (it makes it official) but I'm fighting a cold. It came on yesterday evening and I've been trying desperately to make it go away before my birthday began. Nonetheless, it's still lingering as if missing my birthday was not an option. This unwanted guest might be what made me wake up at 5am. I lay in bed, my eyes tightly shut and tried to breathe deeply and send loving messages to my nose and throat. For a little while I got a bit of relief. Eventually, I opened my eyes and was greeted by the first light creeping into the dim sky. I stared out of the large glass windows and watched as the universe slowly began to paint gentle wisps of daytime into the sky while the lights of the buildings and cars still shone brightly as if marking their place in the disappearing darkness. It was magical! I got up and decided this was the sort of morning you commemorate in your memory and with photographs. I took out my camera and started shooting as the light rapidly changed and the damp cold mist began to rise from the buildings. The world was coming alive now and I could hear and see the cars, bikes and buses hustle by as they carried their inhabitants to begin their busy day. In the distance the trains screeched to a halt at the station and the low hum of the tram rattled by.

No birds sang me an early morning happy birthday song as I gazed out the window. This would have been the case if I were greeting the morning back home. Instead the cold, brisk wind kissed me all over my face and whispered, "You are alive. Be thankful and do good in this world."

I am thankful that I can see another birthday. I am thankful I woke up to witness the first morning light. I will do good deeds in this world. What an amazing start to a great day. Blessings to all and I hope you have a chance to pause and quietly experience a marvelous moment during your day.



Comments

  1. Wonderful - great recount of your birthday morning - yes there is something special about a birthday no matter where and in what circumstances - M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good you had a magical start to your birthday. Keep sending photos. Love, MFT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to an Orisha Yard

The massive cross on the hill

Heading to Cyprus