Reggae and Sushi- Verse iTal at Toren


Reggae and Sushi may not be a popular combo but as it turns out it makes for an amazing Sunday afternoon! When Verse told me about this event during the week I was extremely curious. All I knew was that he was performing and there was going to be a Japanese chef whipping up some sushi goodness. As we got off the train in Amsterdam that Sunday afternoon, the adventure began right away as we had to find the ferry that would carry us across the river to the location in Amsterdam Noord (North). I guess in all my trips to Amsterdam, I had never exited the train station through this side as I didn’t even realize there was a river behind the station, let alone more land to travel by ferry to! When the ferry arrived a mass of passengers in a huge clump walked and rode off on their bikes and motorcycles. Everyone seemed to be in a big hurry. An equally sized mass of passengers walked and rode on in a similar fashion. I moved along, among the clump, giggling to myself, as I had no idea where we were off to, how long the ride will be and whether we were supposed to pay an additional amount to use the ferry. The signs were all in Dutch and none of them were words I recognized. Verse and I settled in on the ferry, which was mostly standing room, and within five minutes we had arrived on the other side. We looked around briefly trying to find our bearings and then took off towards the address we were given.

The venue, Toren, did not disappoint. It seemed just as random as this Sunday called for. There was a large outdoor area with wooden picnic tables and seats. A few people were already present enjoying the Sushi to the sounds of an electronic music DJ. The glass building was more or less stripped as we found out the venue was closing down and they were hosting a series of events before they closed for good. We walked through the rooms trying to imagine what this space was used for as there were doors that led to nowhere, a big, old control station (maybe for sound and lighting) and art (graffiti and paintings) on a few of the walls. It was an impressive space and it was a shame they were closing before we ever got to see it in all its glory. While we waited for Verse’s set, we shot a couple takes for his new music video for the song “Want No Part”. This place was perfect for a shoot and we were glad we were there early enough to take advantage of the space. Shortly after we finished shooting, the reggae music began as DJ Ewa took over the turntables. I enjoyed my specially created vegan Sushi while grooving to the sweet sounds.  Verse went on a couple hours later and the ‘nice vibes’ electrified as people came in from outside and were dancing to his music. I couldn’t help but smile as I took photos of Verse, as not only was I proud of him but it’s just always amazing to see someone where they belong, doing what they love without fear and with ease. He got sick that morning and he was still able to perform well and you could tell he was enjoying it.

After the performance, some people who had come out to support joined in for another take for the music video. Thanks so much to each of you for bringing more vibes and love to the video! I had an amazing time at the event and met some wonderful people. I hope this is not the last time I experience this magical combo of sushi and reggae– even if it’s just in the comfort of my own home with Verse singing of course!

Art on the walls
Flyers for the event
Locations for shooting takes for the new video "Want No Part"


Verse iTal
L: Outside of the Toren R: The chef whipping up Sushi goodness

L: My favorite drink here- Fresh Mint tea! R: The chef created a yummy vegan sushi plate for me with Avocado and Sweet Pepper served with Edamame and Banana Bread

Verse iTal performing with DJ Ewa

Verse iTal performing with DJ Ewa

After the performance with a support team
Thankful to Marly for taking this picture of me with Verse

After another take for the new video "Want No Part"
L: When we were walking to the venue this huge table and chairs were now being painted. The large table symbolizes the hundreds of Freedom Meals organized annually on May 5 in the city. The table was created by artist Arne Hendriks. R: Waiting at the ferry stop



Comments

  1. sounds and looks divine! beautiful life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bi, Grateful for this beautiful life indeed. :)

      Delete
  2. This was certainly different! Verse is definitely where he belongs! You look good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photography as usual! "Want No Part" is a big tune! Keep us posted on its success... Keep going from strength to strength Ari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sholita! I will keep everyone posted about the song. I agree! Big Tune!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to an Orisha Yard

The massive cross on the hill

Heading to Cyprus