Caribbean Vibes ina Oostende

Under the night sky I danced excitedly to a soca set that the DJ was playing. Sand was under my feet and the ocean breeze blew softly passed me. While it sounds like I was partying on one of my favorite beaches in Tobago I was far from the island and from the way the day started I would have never thought I would have felt like I was right at home by the end of the night!

That morning, a white sheet blanketed the sky as we explored the town. We were back in Belgium in a town called Oostende. This town, with its North Sea coastline, is popular for those looking to get away for even just a day trip and reap the benefits of resting at the seaside, soaking up the rays and enjoying a respite from city life. Verse was going to be performing at a festival called “Kingston Beach” and as I stuffed my scarf into my handbag I figured it wasn’t going to be the kind of beach party this Caribbean lady was used to. As we headed to the gig the weather was still very overcast and a chill hung in the air.

Verse iTal's card displayed in the vegetarian restaurant Lombardia in Antwerp. 
We stopped there for a bite to eat before heading to Oostende.
L: Our hotel in Oostende, R: St Petrus and St. Paulus Church

Portraits in Oostende

Walking around Oostende

The Oostende Harbour on an overcast day

Walking around Oostende

Seagulls along the promenade

The party was held at a small sectioned off part of the beach, which was next to an indoor bar. One stand served Jamaican food and a small outdoor bar offered a few cocktails. The crowd was dancing and hanging out soaking in the feel good reggae vibe. Throughout the night the space filled up despite the cold weather and when Verse performed the crowd moved in a bit closer and danced to his tunes. I smiled as I watched different groups enjoy his music. A couple swayed, a group of girls jumped together and some people sang the lyrics. It’s amazing for me to watch Verse connect with a crowd.  After his last song was complete and he thanked the crowd, they called him back for an encore!

L: The Dj's do their thing R: A patron waits for a cocktail

Taking a five inside the beach bar

Kingston Beach crowd

Verse iTal performing

Verse iTal performing


I was having a wonderful time and to my delight the DJ’s played a wonderful mix with many familiar tunes. Besides sweet reggae music, the selection included old dancehall, Kris Kross’ “Jump Jump” was somewhere in the mix and even a few soca styles. It was so cool to see the Belgium crowd dancing to “Follow the Leader”, Palancing to “Palance” by JW & Blaize, chanting “I am a Soca Warrior” along with Maximus Dan and jumping out of control to Major Lazer & Machel Montano’s “Sound Bang”! I was right with them jumping and enjoying myself with, I’m sure, a huge smile on my face.


Sipping my glass of bubbly Cava and dancing with my toes in the sand, I felt very happy. Walking around the grey, gloomy town this morning I would never have guessed this would be how the day would end. Beach parties are the best and I guess that’s true all over the world!

Everyone is welcome at the fesival and these lovely dogs had fun
Verse with the promoter and one of the DJ's
Waiting for the tram on the way back home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to an Orisha Yard

The massive cross on the hill

Heading to Cyprus